Thursday, October 25, 2007

What the crap?

So last night I went to institute like I try to do every Wednesday night since it gives me a break from being home and I have a few acquaintences there that I like to talk to. I try and get there early, mainly because that means I'm out of the house earlier. Well last night as I was coming out of our little library that we have upstairs I had to sort of cut the corner of another room which just happened to be the room where one of the sister missionaries was teaching a kid English. Sister W (I don't know why but I feel it best to keep anonymity even though none of you have met these people) asked me a question or said something to me as I was leaving so I stopped and talked to her for a second before she told the kid that I was also from the US. He started asking me questions about why I was in Germany and when I was going back and what I would do when I was back and how long I had spoken German and then he told me my German was really good. He said he's only been in Germany a little over a year, he's from Iraq. Any way, when he finally ran out of questions I went and played pool in the other room to kill my time since no one else was there yet. A few people started trickling in and were sitting at the top of the stairs and then about 15 minutes after I started shooting pool the kid came in and started talking to me again. He said that if I wanted to we could go out and get some drinks some time or go to a movie or just hang out. Then he gave me his phone number so that I could call him some time. We played two games of pool (which I lost horribly) before he said that he had to leave. But the weirdest part is that he stopped to talk to some of the people by the stairs before he left and I heard him say that he wanted to look for German friends. He didn't want to be friends with "auslanders" ... I think the word in English is foriegners... because he wanted to learn the language and culture better. That's when I thought, "Well why the heck did you give me your phone number and say that we should hang out? I'm a foriegner!" I've just had a bad experience with guys I just met giving me their phone number. The last guy that did it practically stalked me and then asked me if there was any way I would ever even consider marrying him if he wasn't my religion. When I told him no he just went in to the big rant about how religion is ruining the world and it's the cause of all our problems. And then he asked "What's the point in being friends with someone if you know there's no future? That's all you are is just friends? Why would you want to do that?" So basically I said no and after that night I haven't seen him since. Which is a good thing. But kind of bad because I drew something that I want to get put on a shirt and that's the kind of thing he does for work, he owns a copy shop and prints on shirts, pillows, makes signs and posters, etc. and now I would just feel awkward going to his shop and having him do it for me. Maybe I'll just have to wait until I get home. Oh well. So yeah, that's my weird phone number story. Random, unorganized, and one freakishly long paragraph.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are starting to get good at collecting random boys' phone numbers. The weird thing is neither has been German or American. Maybe you could teach me how to pick up some of my own random phone numbers. You must be pretty awesome to have such a great skill, but I'm not sure you can teach me such great awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete